Sunday, 18 September 2016

First Fall Snickerdoodles

There's something a bit special about an American cookie. They aren't really anything like the 'normal' chocolate chip cookie, they're a little different, a little special. 
When I first heard of Snickerdoodles, that they were soft, pillowy cookies encased in delightful cinnamon sugar, I was sold. Unfortunately I completely forgot to try one last time I was in Florida, which I think is pretty easy to do...
So I have to make do with making my own. 
I really love how these Snickerdoodles have turned out, and am sure they will be a hit in the office this week. *UPDATE - They are!* This is my first ever batch of Snickerdoodles, and I have to say they are amazing! 
I did edit the recipe I used slightly, the recipe I started with is from Six Sisters' Stuff, but as I said, I did have to edit it, and did a couple of things slightly differently. 
The ingredients for this recipe are all in Cups, to change it to grams, Google eg. '1 cup of Sugar in Grams'/'1 cup of Butter in Grams'. This is what I did for the butter, as I'm not keen on trying to measure a cup of butter. 
Ingredients 
Cookie Dough
1 Cup Butter 
2 Cups Caster Sugar
2 Eggs
1/4 Cup Milk
1tsp Vanilla Bean Paste/Vanilla Extract
3&1/2 Cups Plain Flour
1/2tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1/2tsp Cream of Tartar 
Topping
4tbs Granulated Sugar
As much Cinnamon as you fancy - I like to use a LOT! 
Instructions
1 - Preheat the oven to 180ÂșC, and line two baking trays with baking paper. 
2 - Cream together the butter and sugar, I like to use a tabletop mixer with a beater attachment. 
3 - Add the Eggs, Milk and Vanilla.
4 - Add the flour 1/2 a cup at a time, follow this up with the Bicarb and the Cream of Tartar. You can sieve these if you need/wish to before adding. 
5 - Once all of the ingredients are incorporated, in a separate bowl combine the granulated sugar and cinnamon. I added a very generous amount of cinnamon. 
6 - I found the mix was a little wet, so used a pair of spoons to create a blob of dough, and plopped it into the sugar. Coat it in the sugar, and then place it on the tray, and squish down a little into a circle. I used my fingers flat, but you could use the base of a glass. If there's any left over sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle it on top. 
7 - Once you've flattened all your dough, pop in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until slightly golden, but not super brown. You don't want to over cook these, unless you like a crunchy, hard cookie. 
8 - When they're cooked, take them out of the oven and leave to cool for a minute or so on the cookie tray, before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Well, you could let them cool, but they are delish warm. 
I absolutely love how these taste, and can't wait to give these out to my colleagues this week to see what they think. 
I added plenty of cinnamon, because I wanted these to actually taste cinnamony, warm and autumnal, and they DO! 
*UPDATE - I took all of these into work this morning in a huge box, and only have four left at the end of the day! I had about 22 cookies this morning!!* 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...