Thursday, 8 May 2014

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Monte Carlo - Review

As you saw I recently made a little purchase on the NYX website, of some Butter Glosses and Soft Matte Lip Creams. I'd never tried these products before and decided to take the plunge and give them a go! 
I bought the Matte Lip Creams in Monte Carlo and Antwerp, why did I buy a deep red just before Summer? Because I'm secretly obsessed with that movie! (Yah know the one with Selena Gomez?)
Here I just want to point out that the Matte Lip Creams are extremely similar to the Collection (2000) Cream Puff lip things. No idea whether these are still being sold. 
The packaging is also very similar to the Cream Puff lip things, the bottle is a shiny red which I like because you can see what colour each product is without picking it up and eyegogging it. The SMLC bottles are also opaque colours, unlike the Butter Glosses. All the SMLCs have a black matte lid with a doe-foot sponge applicator attached to the lid. I would like for the inside of the cap and the 'stick part' of the applicator to be black, but maybe that's just me being picky. 
Altogether though, I like the packaging, I think that it would look really cute to line your collection up on a shelf, just me? Okay. 
The formula is thick and rich, you can see the difference in the swatch above (right) and the application below that it REALLY changes. I did want this to be a beautiful deep red, but it came out a dark red leaning pink toned matte lip. On the lips, this stuff is ah-mazing! It's so smooth, but I found that it did show every imperfection, so I'd suggest exfoliating your lips before application. However, I had just wiped the Butter Gloss off of my lips, which explains why my lips were super creepy looking. I'm a vigorous/aggressive makeup remover. 
It's not what I expected, but I do really like this colour. The product feels very natural on the lips, and I really like the finish. It is very matte, but not at all drying or gross. (Also I acknowledge that my application above is less than stellar, but *shrugs* it was just to swatch) 

These are £5.50 a piece, which I think is pretty good as most high-street brands are in that general area for lip products. I also hear that they're starting to introduce NYX into Next stores, which will stop you from having to pay the £5 shipping fee, which I still don't understand as LUSH is only £3.95 and their stuff is way heavier? 

All together, I really like this product and already have my eye on a couple of other colours, mainly Transylvania (which I can't actually find on NYX UK...ps. get more colour for your UK customers, WE WANT 'EM!) which is a dark, dark plum/red/black colour...cheery yes? 
You can check out my review of NYX Butter Gloss in Peach Cobbler here! 
Yes, I know I'm on a spending ban, but, I bought a load of stuff before it (hence the actual need for a spending ban!) so will be slowly reviewing all of that over the next 30 days! 

5 comments:

  1. I really like the colors especially the orange one:)
    Found you on the bloghop and decided to follow you, because I really like your blog and your pictures.
    My blog is in german but there is a translation button to translate it.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the texture of the matte lip creams. I have Tokyo but want to pick up a few more next time I'm in the US. Monte Carlo is definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE these! Great post!! I found you on Meet me on the Bright Side Blog Hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the NYX matte lip creams. You should give 'Antwerp' a go since I saw you have that one! I really enjoy that colour and I also own 'Tokyo' which is a beautiful peach colour. I found you through the bright side blog hop. Good job on your blog. It's really well done.

    I'd love it if you had a look at mine too :) Also beauty related.
    bowsandpleats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to try Antwerp, but as I mentioned in my review of the Butter Glosses, I bought Antwerp and Strawberry Parfait for a couple of friends. I LOVE the look of Tokyo! Xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...