Saturday, 5 April 2014

MAC - You cheeky little buggers

I will be there first person to say that I LOVE MAC makeup, anyone who knows me, knows that they are probably THE fundamental staple brand in my makeup collection.
A while back they started hiking up their prices, some people just getting into MAC may not know but lipsticks (basic) all used to be £13. 
I got irritated when they hiked the price up to £14, but it was kinda shrug your shoulders and move along with yah life. 

But now they are £15! When they were £13-£14 I was okay with that because I wasn't spending £15 on a lipstick. If I gave them a £5 and £10 note I would get money back. Is this a weird way of thinking? MAC is owned by Estee Lauder, which creates a price hike in their companies once every year or so. But I just find it very frustrating, why I do not know. It feels like corporate greed, like the hogs at the top aren't already getting enough money (sarcasm).

Another thing that I find very interesting is comments from our American friends, not because they're wrong, because they really aren't, but because they pointed out some mega differences to me. 
$1 is equal to 60p here in the UK. So, if we were to go off the prices of MAC lipsticks in America - $16 and turn that dollar amount into it's UK (£) equivalent each lipstick would be around £9.65. They are charging us an extra £5-£6! If Americans were to be charged the dollar equivalent to our £15 they would have to pay $24.89 for a LIPSTICK! WHAT IS THIS?!?!?!??! 

I have to say I'm really disappointed, because it means that all of their other already expensive products will be going up in price too. MAC always seemed like a more 'affordable' luxury makeup brand to me. Ho hum. 
I have also confused myself with exchange rates so, there you go. My rant is over for today...see you tomaaahhrroooww! 

6 comments:

  1. totally feel your frustration. I am in Canada and the prices here are more than the US but not as crazy as the UK prices. I love MAC but now I have to think twice about doing purchases.

    New follower from the blog hop :)
    Shopping Obsession

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really annoying, they were my go-to for nice high quality lippies. Ho hum, I'll just have to try out more high-street brands. It was nice to have that little bit of luxury. X

      Delete
  2. I was so annoyed by the price rise, but saying that Urban Decay lippies are pretty much the same price and I think MAC is better quality when it comes to lipstick so I've just reluctantly accepted it :( x

    Cat | LilacGhosts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing is I never bought UD lipsticks, MAC were my go-to. EURGH! X

      Delete
  3. I always buy my lipstick so cheap in a cheap store around here :) Not fun that the prices are going up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The price hike did not go unnoticed by me! Glad to have found your blog, through the Meet Me on the Bright Side blog hop. I just did a new post about my recent buys and one of them was a Mac lipstick which was really poor in terms of longevity. P x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...