Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Makeup Tutorial - Katy Perry - Killer Queen

I've been wanting to do this tutorial for a LONG time now, I absolutely LOVE the advert for Katy Perry's new perfume 'Killer Queen', it's already on my christmas list after smelling it last week in Boots. The advert is loosely styled after Marie Antoinette, who is one of my favourite historical monarchs. There was huge debate about the similarity of this advert and the advert for Beyonce's 'Mrs Carter' tour. But I have to say I prefer Katy's (I'm not a huge fan of Beyonce), it feels sexier, sassier and isn't so 'strange'. 
I think that you should definitely check out the perfume, it's sweet and sassy, just like my favourite songstress!  
I took inspiration from the images above, remember this won't be EXACTLY the same as Katy's makeup, this is just my interpretation. 
1. Apply a primer all over the lid, under the eye and up to the brow. Then apply a slightly shimmery cream eyeshadow all over the lid concentrating in the inner corner, and then washing up onto the brow bone. 
2. Apply a small piece of Sellotape from the outer corner of the eye diagonally up to the outer edge of the eyebrow. I like to stick the tape to the back of my hand and peel it off before I stick it to my face, meaning it'll come off easier (and less painfully) in the end. Apply a wash of cool toned dark brown eyeshadow up the side of the tape, into the crease, and concentrate into a triangle on the lid. 
3. Apply a dusky mauve shadow into the crease, use this to darken up the brown areas and wash it over the outer half of the lid. 
4. (My favourite part!) Use a black eyeshadow to trace up the tape line and to create a small triangle on the lid. I found that an angled eyeliner brush worked best! Then smudge the black shadow into the crease lightly, concentrating it only in the crease and not blending onto the lid or brow bone! If you smudge it along the outer half of the lash line, your lashes will appear fuller and thicker! 
5. Mix together a shimmery/metallic gold and a dark shimmery/metallic brown and (using the blackened eyeliner/pencil brush) thinly smudge along the lower lash line and into the lower eyelashes. 
6. Take a little of the shimmery cream eyeshadow and apply again to the inner half of the eyelid. 
7. Apply your favourite volumising mascara, Katy's lashes are always super fluttery, thick and long. You can apply false lashes too if you want, but I didn't have any to hand. 
8. Grab a red lipstick and apply it over the top of a red lipliner. You can then add a little gloss if you want some shimmer. Katy's lips in this advert are a little shiny, not matte and not super glossy. 

You should end up with something like this...
 I apologise for the quality of the photos, I couldn't find my fujufilm camera cable, so had to make do with my iPhone. 
I really like how this turned out, I thought it would turn out really bad first time round, but it didn't! I think that this would be a really good look for the autumn/winter time because everyone seems to start using darker makeup and going on about red/berry lips. 
You could easily swap the shadow for some chocolatey browns and the lips for a purple/reddish berry shade and it would be a beautiful autumnal look! 

I hope y'all liked my first makeup tutorial on here! If you have any requests leave a comment below, email or tweet me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...